- Must be 10 years old
- Must be able to swim and tread water for minimum 10 minutes
The cost is $299.99 per person, which includes your PADI Open Water Diver Manual, dive tables, use of a DVD, classroom and pool work, certification card, and SCUBA rental gear (tanks, weights, BCD, regulator) with the exception of personal gear.
* Personal gear is considered to be your mask, snorkel, fins, lead weights and wetsuit. These are available for sale at our store. Students receive 15% off any items purchased in the shop(lead excluded). Your instructor will be available to personally fit you for any gear that you may need for the class.
* Wetsuits are available for rent.
Dive site fees are NOT included!
- Reservations are required.
- Medical form form must be completed. If there is a "yes" answer to any medical questions you must obtain a physicians approval to take the class.
- Minimum age is 10, and those under 18 need a parent or guardians approval and signature. Junior Open Water License will be issued to those under the age of 15.
- Classes are paid in full when enrolling.
- You must be able to swim 200 yards using any stroke or combination of stokes you choose and be able to tread water for 10 minutes.
Gear Needed for this Course
2013 KEY WEST-1
Our Instructors reserve this class only for special camps and special groups of students. If you've always wanted to learn how to scuba dive, discover new adventures or simply see the wonderous world beneath the waves, this is where it starts. The PADI Open Water Diver course is the world's most popular scuba course, and has introduced millions of people to the adventurous diving lifestyle.
The PADI Open Water Diver course consists of three main phases:
- Knowledge Development (online, home study or in a classroom ) to understand basic principles of scuba diving
- Confined Water Dives(Pool Dives) to learn basic scuba skills
- Open Water Dives to review your skills and explore!
If you've participated in a Discover Scuba Diving experience or resort course, the skills you learned may be credited towards a portion of the full PADI Open Water Diver course certification.
The fun part about this course is...well, just about all of it because learning to dive is incredible. You breathe underwater for the first time (something you'll never forget) and learn what you need to know to become a certified diver. During the course, you'll make at least five pool dives and four dives at local dive sites under the supervision of your PADI Instructor.
This popular class starts every month and finishes in three weeks.
Step 1: The academic classes are on the first & second Saturday's monthly(usually) and will be completed at the pool from 8 am - 10 am prior to the beginning of the pool sessions where we will be reviewing your knowledge reviews and completing hands on training with real equipment. Then we give you four simple quizzes and then the final exam, which is multiple choice.
Step 2: The pool sessions are on the first & second Saturday's (usually) and sessions begin at 10 a.m. We are lucky enough to use the largest & deepest pool in the area! Brandon Aquatic Center swimming pool is just a 20 minute drive from the shop. All of the basics of scuba are learned and mastered in the pool before you progress to open water. The pool session finishes around 1 p.m.
Step 3: The third weekend is spent diving!
The first day (Saturday) you will complete Open Water Dives #1 & 2. Usually, these will be conducted at a local dive site(freshwater site). These locations enable us to complete many of the skills from shore to facilitate completion. The second day (Sunday) you will complete your dives #3 & 4, in the Gulf of Mexico(weather permitting) or a freshwater site to be announced. Although we plan some all our dive excursions from boats, inclement weather may force us to dive in alternate land based locations for the sole purpose of being able to complete your dive training. Most day's dives will be completed by 12.00 noon.
Finally: Upon returning (and passing) you will be issued a temporary certification card so you can start diving right away. We process your PADI certification card online so you will get your permanent license in as little as 7 days and it can be sent anywhere in the world. You will also then be qualified to take the PADI Advanced Diver course as well numerous specialty classes like Wreck Diver and Underwater Photographer. All students that graduate will receive a $50 credit towards the next class if purchased within 30 days of completing with Open Water Class.
5 Reasons to Buy From
Your Local Dive Store
1. Expert Advice
Odds are your dealer is a seasoned diver with years of dive experience. Take advantage of that experience and ask questions.
2. Hands-on Inspection and Choices
Seeing a photo and reading a product description online is fine, but seeing, handling and asking questions about a product in person can't be beat. Considering a new mask, BC or drysuit? Nothing compares to having several models side by side and then trying them on.
3. Need your tank filled or a rental?
Try ordering 3,000 PSI of air or renting your gear over the internet! Without your local dive store, there is no diving! So it's in your best interest to support your local dive store!
4. The Learning Experience
Dive stores offer learning resources for both beginners and experienced divers. These classes, pool sessions and open water dives will never be offered online.
Dive store owners like to keep their customers happy with great deals. Make a friend of your local dive store and dealer! Support your local dive store and you will be surprised at how much they will support you if you give them the opportunity!